n9121910_38194676_2434
n9121910_38194678_3015


Today, we went to the Temple of Poseidon for a day trip with my school. It took an hour and a half to get there. On the way, we stopped at some museum that had no relevance to anything and no one knew we were going to. It was an abandoned mine but after that I stopped listening. It was kind of like Batavia's Depot Museum. No one cares. Of course I am joking...

Anyway, the Temple was pretty impressive. It wasn't that imposing, like the Parthenon, but rather the location was ideal. It is on top a high hill overlooking the Mediterranean for miles. The view was absolutely breath-taking. Afterwards, we went down to a beach nearby and swam for awhile. Me and few others discovered a cave almost directly under the Temple and explored for awhile. It was incredible, though there were sea urchins everywhere. I got very nervous because I nearly stepped on one, and those things are very sharp and poisonous. They won't kill, but it will make your foot sting for awhile. Anyway, that was the extent of my day.

However, yesterday I went to the top of the acropolis for the first time for my archaeology class. The Parthenon is huge. And it is so far up, you can see far beyond the city limits and well into the Sea as well. My heart skipped a few beats when I saw it along with the Erecthion and the surrounding view. Unfortunately, they had disassembled the Temple of Nike in order to clean the marble from the acid rain that falls in the city due to massive pollution. Athens is just like Los Angeles in smog levels.

Anyway, my camera is still not fixed so I have no pictures of the Parthenon but my friends took some of the Temple of Poseidon so I will post those. Καλυνιχτα!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG you can't spell Los Angeles.

Anonymous said...

My cousin's shop is about 15 minutes, 20 minutes down the road from Suninio (sp?) They own a little kiosk on the side of the road.

You passed where I spent my summer! Crazy!

My cousins used to live in Glafada. But now that they built their own house. idk where they are.

Anonymous said...

http://www.archiecomics.com/comic-shop/foreign/foreign_comics_stacks.html Could you click on the Greek comic and attempt to translate it for me?? It's the one about the ugly sweater. This is SO IMPORTANT TO ME.