10/28/2008

Οχι Day

Today was a national holiday in Greece called "Οχι Day" (said Oh-hee with a rough 'H' in the back of your throat.) Literally translated, Οχι means No. Greeks are a little strange, let me explain.

Today marks the beginning of Greece's involvement in WWII. The legend goes that early in the morning on October 28 (I forget what year), the Italian ambassador gave an ultimatum to the dictator in Greece. Either let Italy occupy Greece, or face war. The Greek dictator responded with a simple, "Οχι." When Italians invaded that same day from Albania, they were slowly driven back by the Greeks. The Greeks haven't won many wars, so this is an occasion to celebrate! Of course, the Nazis soon invaded and quickly defeated Greece, leading to a long, devastating occupation which later led to a even worse civil war. Needless to say, the Greeks do not celebrate the end of WWII.

Anyway, everything was closed today with the exception of the OK Market (a mini-supermarket in the plateia) and all the tavernas and restaurants. We also had been told by our teachers that there was a military parade in Syntagma Square. So, the few of us that were here decided to head over and watch it! After waiting around for two hours, a mass of black, important looking cars started to drop people off in front of the Parliament. Eventually, the Patriarch or Arch-Bishop of Greece came out as well as the Prime Minister. They stood around, talking to each other forever, then listened to the national anthem, gave their respects to the dead, etc. It took forever, and a lady fainted from the heat in front of me during this time. Then a marching band came, played, and my disappointment began. There were only school children in the parade. Lots and lots of kids ranging from elementary to high school. No tanks, no army, no jets, no cannons. After an hour of school children, the parade was over and everyone left. It was horrible.

Anyway, we had school off ever since last Thursday. Everyone went traveling to different places such as Italy, Sweden, Crete and Egypt, but I stayed since I am already traveling later next month. Oh, and by the way, I am going to Barcelona and Rome, not Berlin. Tickets were cheaper and someone wanted to come with me. Anyway, my weekend was very relaxing and boring at the same time. My roommate, Aleata, was still here, so we hung out once in awhile. But mainly, I was on my own, wandering the city or sleeping in very late. I started to work out I was so bored! There is a track above the Olympic Stadium that is open to everyone, so yesterday I ran a mile and then did basic push-ups, sit-ups, etc. I have never done so many before though. Anyway, thats not important.

This week, I only have one day of classes again. But tomorrow I am going to volunteer at the dog shelter again. I went last week, and it was smelly and nasty. But I enjoyed walking the dogs even though I got poop on me and got bit by a crazy pit bull. Oliver and Carmela were both very good pit bulls, but I forgot how strong they are even when they are well-intentioned. Anyway, next Sunday I will be volunteering at a football game for the Olympikos. Greeks take their football VERY seriously, just as much as the British do. And then next Tuesday I am volunteering for the US Embassy at the party they are holding at the Hilton. I get in for cheap plus I get to meet important people! I feel good about the chances I have been getting to volunteer. It integrates me into this society a little better than the normal tourist. The NGO for Refugees hasn't been working out. They are incredibly disorganized plus the children I would be playing with don't even know Greek let alone English. But I still hope it works out. It would be a lot of fun.

I heard it started to flurry back home! I wish I could have been there. I miss everyone and everything so much! But, I know it isn't going anywhere, so I will enjoy my time here! Hope everyone is doing well! Γεια σας!

0 comments: