12/08/2008

Mass Riots

Athens and much of Greece has erupted into mass violence in response to a police man shooting a 16 year old kid a few nights ago. To us Americans, this is a very strange reaction. I can't really explain it to you other than murder is rare in Greece, so when a police kills a child, the reaction is huge. Also, ever since the military dictatorship back in the 70's, Greeks hate the police and government. The anarchist and communist movements in this country have taken this oppurtunity to escalate violence way above the normal. Downtown is ruined. Shops are broken into, buildings and cars burned, tear gas hangs in the air, fire bombs, loud explosions, helicopters in the air, etc etc. I was caught in a large demonstration the other day, but I managed to get away safely.

There isn't much more for me to say, other than I am completely safe in my apartment and in my neighborhood. Check CNN and BBC for photos, since I am not leaving my apartment. Again, I am safe and fine!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

the problem with not coming out of your appartment is that you watch too much tv... and that you believe everything that you see...