9/22/2008

A week later...



Sorry for the lack of posting. Last week was very unimportant and uneventful other than me starting school. I am taking Athens archaeology, Byzantine history, modern Greek history, intermediate Greek, and my last class involves me volunteering somewhere in Athens. I think I am going to volunteer with the Greek NGO, a group that helps immigrants and people seeking asylum in Greece (though I don't know who would want to). It is more political and is better than me volunteering to save the turtles.

Other than that, the big news is my trip to Santorini. Let me start at the beginning of my Odyssey.

We never have school on friday, so we booked a ferry to leave Athens Friday morning. We had booked ourselves as students of Athens and got a discount. However, since we aren't a member of a public school, they decided to take away our discount right as we got on the boat. So, we dealt with a cranky Greek guy as 10 of us tried to pay the difference separately. The ATMs like to give a lot of 50 euro bills, which does us no good. The difference was 8 euros. Needless to say he was very angry with us. One girl had her change thrown at her.

After the 8 hour ferry ride, we arrived in Santorini. The first sight you see when the landing comes down is a wall of rock that goes up seemingly endlessly. The cliffs are higher than skyscrapers, and the cities are built on top of the cliffs all the way to the edge. It is a almost funny sight to see. Oia and Fira are the two cities with white washed buildings with some blue roofs that everyone thinks about in connection with Greece.

Santorini was once a normal island until the volcano blew away most of it, forming it into a crescent shaped island. Many people believe that it is connected to the myth of Atlantis and even one scientist connected the eruption with the biblical plagues in Egypt, since they did happen at the exact same time. It was apparently the strongest eruption of the last few thousand years, more than Pompeii or Mt. Saint Helens. The beaches are black from the lava and ash, and there are hot springs that I swam in. The volcano is still active and reeks of sulfur, but hasn't blown since 1950. I took a tour on top of it as well as to the hot springs which were yellow but very warm.

On the second day however, it began to rain. And a lot. Since Santorini is so high and always sloping, the streets became rivers, and everything began to flood. We were staying on the far side of the island, but got stuck in Fira for hours since the rain caused a massive mudslide, forcing the roads closed. We were wet, cold and angry when we got back to the hostel. The last day was a much more relaxing day spent on the beaches and small towns around the island.

After another 8 hours of a ferry, this time much more rough due to the storm, we arrived back in Athens around midnight. Taxi's are ridiculous here. They will only take people where they want to go as well. For example, we live in Pagrati, but none of the taxis wanted to go there for whatever reason. Or if they were going to be forced over there, it was going to cost 40 euros. They think that since we are American they can rip us off. After an hour we finally found a cab driver willing to take us home and not rob us.

So that was my adventure this weekend. Next weekend I am staying in Athens as well as going to the Temple of Poseidon with the school for a day. I will post more often, I promise!

I will post some pictures once my friends finally upload them, since again I have no camera. It should be fixed this weekend though!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, so, do you like Greece? These posts are not making it clear.

Also, it's cool that you're taking an architecture of Athens class. That's almost an art class!