9/15/2008

My first week




So, I apologize for making this blog so late. It has been hard to transition into this culture, which truly is completely different from anything I know in Chicago. Let me start at the beginning of my journey.

My school organized a group flight coming into Athens that we could take if we choose to. Since it was from JFK in NYC, I decided to take my own flight out of Chicago and meet everyone in London. But I screwed it up and arrived in Athens completely alone with no one to meet me. I tried my luck and jumped into a ταξη taxi. He knew no English and I knew very little Greek. He eventually got so fed up with me, he dropped me off in the middle of the city. So I dragged all my luggage around for many blocks until I arrived at a hotel where luckily they spoke English and I got ahold of the school. Needless to say, my first day was stressful. But luckily there is a McDonalds nearby my apartment that tastes just like home!

It is incredibly hot here. It never rains, or is overcast. The humidity is killer too! I have never sweated so bad or smelled so bad before in my life! I try to take showers, but you have to conserve water here. You stand in a small tub that I don't fit in, wet yourself, then lather with the water off. It's strange and the water smells kind of funny as well. Nothing can go down the toliets except human waste. So all toilet paper must be thrown away which offers many awkward moments with the roommates to say the least! I haven't even begun to figure out the washing machine which looks intimidating! In order to have hot water, you need to turn the water heater on at least 30 minutes before, and then turn it off afterwards. I don't have air conditioning and I am trying to forget about it.

This week consisted of general orientation stuff that I usually don't pay any attention to. We have explored the city a lot though by ourselves. You can see the Parthenon from the roof of my building and we tried to visit it at night, but found out that it was closed. Apparently Greeks like to graffiti, cause it is everywhere, and no one thinks twice about it or cares. It makes the city look pretty crappy though. Greeks also never work. They are always sitting in a restaurant for hours, eating, drinking and talking. Normal dinner takes Greeks about three hours to complete. They are in no rush to do anything. There is also a quiet period from 2 till 5, which is enforced by law. I have had a few Greeks yell at me for being too loud.

This past weekend we went to Kea/Tzia on a group trip. It was a barren island that no one goes to. I'm not even sure why we did. But the beaches were nice, and the motel had air condition and TVs that had American shows from the 80s. Our school threw us a beach party as well. Sorry mom and dad, but I took advantage of the no drinking limit here. In moderation of course! Greeks don't get drunk, they just drink slowly all day. The κρασι (wine) is very good here!

My camera broke and it is going to be probably €80 to fix. So, I will post pictures that I steal from everyone else! Classes started today and I go tomorrow from 9.30am till 8.30pm. I am not pleased at all, but I will be taking archaeology and traveling for my classes as well!

I have to go now, since I haven't taken a bath today and I am completley sweaty and disgusting. Υεια σας!

Note, all those pictures are not mine since I don't have a camera!

4 comments:

cafegirl71 said...

Great post Michael... Blogger has a new gadget called "Follow me" if you add it then you can see who is following your blog. I added it to my blog the other day. It's pretty cool. Oh and it has rained here the last few day...and is super cool and breezy. I hope you got some of your stink washed off.

Stina said...

Oh Michael. I sorry. It IS a completely different culture.

But it will get better when you learn the language, but you probably look so Ameriki to them... idk.

But I still do have cousins in the city! Seriously keep a look out for a DJ Uranus! :D Or two guys names Ouranos and Helios (Like the gods...)

Anonymous said...

No air conditioning and nearly waterless showers? That sounds like me!

But seriously, it sounds like your having fun (sort of?). Every move requires adjustment, but that which does not kill you makes you stronger!

Moler said...

Ι love the way you look at the greek culture.
I'll visit often:-)